9.20.2009

Landscaping Part 2 - Edging

All work done during mid to late June of 2009. Edging work began after the fence was finished. We ripped out all the old plants mainly aging ewes, hostas, azeleas, and ground cover. The groundcover is the same kind that was at my parents house and the same kind that I fought with every summer at my folks place. Yeah, that stuff was defiantely not staying! I told Luis #1 that I wanted the garden beds larger than original. He said no problem and told me to leave it to him. Moving the fence to expand the driveway produced a lot of extra soil which was handy in the prep of the garden beds.









I went to a local garden center (Suburban Lawn and Garden) and picked out the following plants. They were all on sale and as far as I know have no defects. I chose plants based on size, sunlight, interest, and cost. The overall deciding factor was always cost so I picked young plants. See 'Landscaping Part 3 - Plants' for plant selection.












East side front of house

BEFORE: Marked and with all the old plants which would be ripped out













AFTER: Edged and with new or repurposed plants. Luis kicked the edge out and made a great rounded shape.












AFTER: This is about 3 weeks later, we decided to have the brown shingles painted white. I hated those old brown shingles. The house has been fully painted white. This part was in progress at the time of the picture.












West side front of house.

BEFORE: Marked area to edge.











BEFORE: Closer view. See the difference in size of the beds.











AFTER: Finished job




No comments: