9.20.2009

Landscaping Part 1 - Fence

Since moving into the house we have done some major renovations and basically transformed this house. Since Holly took care of designing on the inside and there was nothing else left to do, I was delegated the outside. I am pretty sure I will get the basement as well. Anyways here is the front of the house before new landscaping. This is an old pic from the spring. I planted those daffodils the prior fall.


I subcontracted the work out to "Dos Luis'" as Holly and I referred to them as both the guys were named Luis. Anyways, they did a great job working in the evenings and on weekends. We
tore down the old fence which was destroyed by a tree (during December 2008) and built a new fence.

Yes...those X-mas lights do appear to be holding up a portion of the fence. We got those lights from Holly's parents and they are at least 30 years old. They don't make them like they used
to.
















New fence is below. I ordered all the materials expecting a standard dog ear fence to be put up, but when we got back from Alaska, Dos Luis' had created the awesome fence we have now. Definitely not in the plans and way pricer when I received fence quotes from fencing companies. No problem for Dos Luis'. The old retaining wall was some old railroad ties which were hollow and rotted. The retaining wall built was above expectations as well. We bought some blue sandstone from Suburban Lawn and Garden.

Looking from the right front then left front

















I love the look of this rock. The price was right too. We picked it up for a little more than what it would have cost for retail concrete wallstone. We were able to get a substantial discount using the discount from Rock Chalk Lawn Care. I would not have purchased the stone without a discount.









Luis # 1 working on some edging work which was a change order added after I saw the great work they did with the fence.
















Luis #2 working with the rock we picked. I ordered three pallets of wall stone (larger flat pieces) and one pallet of edging stone. I think we only used 2 pallets of wallstone for the fence and I basically had a full pallet remaining. I didn't want to run out! Something needed to be done with all that wallstone.











No comments: