5.11.2011

Gooey Butter Cake

Joe and I have been busy. Apparently, we've been too busy to blog for about 9 months. In that amount of time you can grow a whole baby (we haven't). I think I'll remedy our extended blogging hiatus with an update and since I don't have a long commute anymore perhaps I'll blog a little more often.
-----------------------------
I went to St. Louis a couple weeks ago for my new job orientation and while there I was able to have my favorite dessert, Gooey Butter Cake, multiple times. According to those fact-wizards at Wikipedia, St. Louis is the city of origination for Gooey Butter Cake. A St. Louis co-worker thoughtfully sent out the recipe to everyone who attended orientation and I thought I'd share. I'll be making this tonight.


Gooey Butter Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick butter, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 lb. powdered sugar (reserve 1/2 c for garnish after baking)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 more eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine cake mix, butter, and 1 egg; mix thoroughly. Press into a greased 9x13 pan or an 11x17 jelly roll pan. Mix together powdered sugar and cream cheese; add 2 eggs and beat 3-5 minutes. Pour over crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes (insert knife, should come out clean). Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Enjoy!

No comments: